I AM SOUL - PLAYWRIGHT RESIDENCY
National Black Theatre
INFO: The annual I AM SOUL - Playwright Residency program recognizes Black playwrights whose work demonstrates exceptional artistic merit and excellence in the theatrical field. Alongside NBT’s Theatre Arts Director, the selected playwright will develop a new play during the eighteen (18) month residency. The program provides the playwright with a stipend, administrative and dramaturgical support, in-house readings, and one 29-hour workshop. This process culminates with a Workshop Production in NBT’s following season.
With I AM SOUL, NBT seeks to deepen the artistic relationship between Black theatrical institutions and Black playwrights in order to re-establish Black theatrical institutions as the foremost supporters and producers of new works created by Black playwrights.
- Deadline: May 1, 2018
- Finalists Notified: June 10, 2018
- Recipient Notified: July 13, 2018
- Residency: September 1, 2018 – March 31, 2020
THE RELENTLESS AWARD
The American Playwright Foundation
INFO: The Relentless Award, established in honor of Philip Seymour Hoffman and his pursuit of truth in the theater, is the largest annual cash prize in American theater awarded to a playwright in recognition of a new play.
Submissions by first-time playwrights, women and playwrights are encouraged.
- The option to have the winning play published by the Dramatists Play Service
- A week-long residency at SPACE on Ryder Farm, an artist residency program housed on a working organic farm in Brewster, New York. The author can elect to have a director, a dramaturg and actors join him or her while in residence on the farm
- The selected play will also have a national roll-out through the Ed Vassallo Relentless Reading Series, established to help bring to life and develop the winning play by presenting a series of staged readings at some of the top theaters across the United States
Three runners-up will also be named.
DEADLINE: 11:59pm EST on May 15, 2018